Indonesia: Separatist Gets Life In Prison For Waving Flag In Front Of President
MySinchew 2008.04.04 JAKARTA,
INDONESIA: A court has sentenced the leader of a separatist group in eastern Indonesia to life in prison for waving the flag of a mostly Christian secessionist movement in front of the president last year.
At court official said at least 19 others were convicted of treason and sentenced to between 10 and 20 years over the flag-waving demonstration, which was nonviolent.The incident was a major embarrassment to President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono as he presided over a government ceremony in the eastern province of Maluku, which was wracked by violence between Muslims and Christians between 1999 and 2002.The harshness of the punishments shows Indonesia's extreme sensitivity to separatist movements in the sprawling archipelago and will likely trigger criticism by rights activists.The group itself _ a tiny outfit known by the Indonesian acronym RMS _ has little support.
It does not believe in violence, and analysts say it poses no threat to central government control of the region.Court spokesman Amin Syafrudin said the leader of the separatist group, Johan Teterisa, was sentenced to life imprisonment Thursday (3 Apr) in the provincial capital Ambon after being found guilty of treason.State news agency Antara reported Teterisa cried when the sentence was handed down.
His lawyers were not immediately available for comment Friday (4 Apr).
Another 19 members of the group have been convicted on treason charges over the last two months, said Syafrudin on Friday. The trials have received little attention in the national media.
Indonesia is overwhelmingly Muslim, but Christians form the majority in parts of Maluku and other eastern regions.
The RMS first emerged in the 1950s soon after Indonesia won its independence from Dutch colonial rule. The group, which was mostly Christian but had some Muslim members, was defeated militarily and its leadership fled to the Netherlands, where it briefly had a government-in-exile.
It was largely forgotten until Maluku erupted in Muslim-Christian violence in 1999 that killed some 9,000 people. The Muslim side took to calling their Christian foes separatists, a charge that helped give their cause legitimacy among the country's mostly Muslim leadership and media.
An overwhelming majority of Christians in the province insist they do not want a separate state.
Indonesia, which has some 18,000 islands and scores of ethnic groups, is battling separatists in Papua province. In 2005, the government reached a deal with secessionists in Aceh province, ending a war that had killed 15,000 people.
(By CHRIS BRUMMMITT/ AP)
- THESE ARE THE MOLUCCAN ISLANDS: FACTS & OPINIONS
- MELANESIA VERSUS INDONESIA
- ABOUT MOLUCCAS INTERNATIONAL CAMPAIGN FOR HUMAN RIGHTS
- REPRESSION OF A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT IN MALUKU: FREEDOM OF POLITICAL EXPRESSION
- SOUTH MOLUCCAS ISLANDS’ ILLEGAL OCCUPATION BY JAKARTA
- MOLUCCAS SOVEREIGNTY FRONT - FRONT KEDAULATAN MALUKU (FKM)
- LETTERS DR. ALEXANDER H. MANUPUTTY TO THE UN & HEADS OF STATE AND GOVERNMENT AND AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL
- PESTA DEMOKRASI: FRONT KEDAULATAN MALUKU MENUNTUT PENGEMBALIAN KEDAULATAN RMS 25 APRIL 1950 – 25 APRIL 2014
- PHOTOS FKM-RMS DEMONSTRATION IN FRONT OF PARLIAMENT HOUSE OF ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA ON OCTOBER 26, 2010 & SEPTEMBER 7, 2010
- PROKLAMASI NEGARA REPUBLIK MALUKU SELATAN (RMS)
- INDONESIA: A SYSTEM BUILT ON CORRUPTION
- INDONESIAN PRESIDENT JOKO “JOKOWI” WIDODO SURROUNDED BY KILLERS & RENT-SEEKERS
- EX GENERAL PRABOWO AMBITION TO BECOME PRESIDENT ON FEBRUARY 2024 ELECTION
- SUSILO BAMBANG YUDHOYONO AND HIS GENERALS
- KORUPSI - KEMISKINAN DAN KETERBELAKANGAN DI MALUKU - CORRUPTION - POVERTY AND UNDERDEVELOPMENT IN THE MOLUCCAS
- PALM OIL PLANTATION CRIME IN INDONESIA AND ITS CORRUPT POLITICAL MACHINE
- MASELA - OIL AND GAS BLOCKS CAN LIBERATE MALUKU FROM POVERTY
- ILLEGAL GOLD RUSH ON BURU ISLAND IN THE MOLUCCAS
- SAVE ARU ISLANDS
- SAVE MASYARAKAT ADAT DALAM MENJAGA HUTAN KEPULAUAN ARU
- SAVE ROMANG
- INDONESIAN MILITARY INVOLVEMENT WITH AGGRESSIVE MINING, ILLEGAL LOGGING AND ILLEGAL FISHING IN THE MOLUCCAS
- LASKAR JIHAD - SUHARTO COMPANIONS AND THE MOLUCCAN CIVIL WAR - JUSTICE DEMAND
- MOLUCCAS: GENOCIDE ON THE SLY - INDONESIA’S TRANSMIGRATION PROGRAM
- OUR CAMPAIGN & CONTACT MICHR
- ECOLOGY & SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT IN THE MOLUCCAS
- DISPLACED PEOPLE IN THE MOLUCCAS - PENGUNGSI DI MALUKU
- INSIDE INDONESIA’S WAR ON TERROR
- TNI, BRIMOB AND STATE TERROR IN THE MOLUCCAS
- IMPUNITY AND THE INDONESIAN MASTERS OF TERROR
- STOP KILLING - ASSAULTING and KIDNAPPING JOURNALISTS IN INDONESIA
- 8 MARCH INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY
- 26 JUNE UN INTERNATIONAL DAY IN SUPPORT OF VICTIMS OF TORTURE
- 9 AUGUST - UN INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE WORLD’S INDIGENOUS PEOPLES
- RIGHTS OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLES - HAK ASASI MASYARAKAT ADAT
- THE DUTCH - INDONESIA CORPORATE CONNECTION
- LIBERATING OUR COLONIAL MINDSET
- UNPO: IN PURSUIT OF THE RIGHT TO SELF-DETERMINATION
- NKRI DIDIRIKAN DI ATAS KONSEP YANG SALAH
- GAJAH DENGAN GAJAH BERLAGA, ORANG MALUKU MATI DI TENGAH - TENGAH
- THE PLAYERS BEHIND THE MALUKU MADNESS
- PARA JENDERAL MENDAPATKAN TEMPAT: HUBUNGAN SIPIL-MILITER DAN DEMOKRASI DI INDONESIA
- INDONESIAN STATE SPONSORED UNBRIDLED NICKEL EXPLOITATION IN NORTH MOLUCCAS: SERVING THE ECONOMIC INTEREST OF INDONESIAN OLIGARCHS AND CHINA
- THE IMPACTS OF CLIMATE CRISIS ON SMALL ISLANDS STATES